Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Ratty old sweatshirt redux








I try to look decent when I'm out and about, but once I'm in the house, comfort trumps all. My usual at-home uniform consists of yoga pants worn with a favorite tank top, T-shirt, sweatshirt, or sweater, depending on the temperature. Sadly, my go-to sweatshirt is nearing the end of its life. It is still wearable (just), so instead of taking it apart to make a copy, I rubbed off the pattern pieces. Ta-da! I have reproduced the favorite sweatshirt in all its baggy, threadbare, drop-shouldered glory. Okay, not threadbare yet, but it will get there; I have been wearing it for three days in a row now.







To attach the bands, I followed the method described here by Jorth. My neckband sits differently because I wanted the grain on it to run opposite that on the body of the shirt. The fabric (a French terry from Fabric Mart) has very little stretch on the cross grain, so the neckband stands up rather than lies down against my neck. I basted first just to see, but turns out I like it better this way.

I stabilized the shoulder seams with silk organza selvedge to help this top keep its shape. And if the overall shape is a little less than flattering . . . well, so was that of the original.






Audio files: One of my favorite podcasts to listen to while sewing is Slate's Culture Gabfest. Here I go now to listen to the latest one.

3 comments:

  1. There is nothing better than a slouchy top that you can put on and just forget you are wearing - esp if it washes well so you can stick it in the machine quickly if/when you get it grubby from gardening/cooking etc.

    Are you making a French jacket? I'm doing one with cheapo fabric at the moment and as soon as I get the fit and various techniques right, I will then acquire the £25 per metre Linton Tweed and silk etc. I'm not following the sew along exactly as I've cut my pattern pieces as per the Claire Shaeffer/Vogue pattern and only made adjustments as per mu very basic toile. No cutting square pieces and marking sewing lines for (lazy) me...!! Oh well. On;y time will tell if that is a good idea or not.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment, Claire. I am making a little French jacket, following the sew-along that you alerted me to. The work involved is surprisingly satisfying and enjoyable, but only when nothing else is pressing, so I'm running a couple of steps behind at this point. Good luck on your jacket -- the way you're doing yours is plenty of work, too!

      Delete
  2. That looks super comfortable, I can see why it is a favourite :)

    ReplyDelete