Friday, April 18, 2014

MMM: For me this counts as a real challenge

I have been coughing and febrile for days, and we are leaving for a family vacation in Japan tomorrow morning, so it is possible that my mind is not working right . . . but I have decided to join Me Made May 2014. I had such a good time seeing what people did last year, and I found a few of my favorite bloggers this way. Why not join in the fun and camaraderie?

My version will be a scaled down one, appropriate to my developing sense of how to connect what I sew with what I actually wear. For the month of May, I will make a point of wearing something that I have made — sewn, knitted, or refashioned — at least five days a week. In some cases I may not wear it all day, but I will put it on, whatever it is, and give it a chance to speak to me. Many of the garments I have made hang quietly in the closet. This will give me a chance to see which of them work, which of them don't work and what I can learn from that, and where I can go from here.

The other key part of this challenge for me is taking and posting pictures of my MMM garments. I have a really hard time with pictures of myself, and at the same time I do realize that that is pointless and vain. I'm hoping that the push to get pictures out there to the community for this fun monthlong project will help me get past the silly self-consciousness.

I'm so looking forward to seeing everybody's contributions.

7 comments:

  1. Hi Patricia, I'll be participating in spirit, though most of my makes are wool jacket-type things, and I hope the weather will finally be too warm!
    I think it's important to support this, because fast fashion is so bad in terms of the environment and labor exploitation (not to mention terrible fit, fabric and design) so when I'm not wearing "makes" I'll be trying to wear brands that are made in the U.S.A. (like NYDJ) or support sustainable manufacturer, like Eileen Fisher and Patagonia.
    As for posting pictures, hm, let's get our kids to master Photo Shop so we can look like Gisele Bundchen!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment, Julie. Your "wool jacket-type things" are beautiful couture creations, but you're right, maybe not daily wear for the weather that lies ahead.

      Delete
  2. Yay! I'm joining in me-made May too, so I shall look forward to seeing you there! I've always loved the community spirit in the group; everyone is always so very supportive of everyone's efforts. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I have seen that community spirit among the participants while I was lurking, blogless, over the last couple of years. I'm very much looking forward to this, Carolyn!

      Delete
  3. Hi Patricia! I really enjoy reading your blog. I wanted to let you know that I've nominated you for a Liebster award. You can read about it here: http://sewinginsurfcity.blogspot.com/2014/04/rare-singers-and-liebsters.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why, thank you, Nancy, I am very flattered. I'm traveling just now but I look forward to responding to the nomination once I'm back in the U.S. All the best.

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete